We are the Hungarian Kossuth Folkdancers, with membership from Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph and Toronto.
The Kossuth Dancers strive for the following:
- To maintain, cherish and pass on our rich Hungarian heritage and culture to the next generation;
- To preserve and perpetuate the language and the traditional dance culture of ethnic Hungarians;
- To offer healthy and valuable activity for children and youth of Hungarian origin and other interested parties;
- To provide entertainment of value for Hungarian communities and the broad Canadian public;
- To cooperate with cultural centres in the area; and
- To organize and participate in festivals and cultural events.
In 2006, we celebrated our 40th anniversary. It was a very special remembrance of those who left Hungary in 1956 and came to settle in this area to start a new life, and a new home. It is in their spirit which we are alive today, teaching the young of our community about culture and pride, which their parents and grandparents left behind for a brighter future.
A celebration concert was held in Kitchener -Waterloo with live music accompaniment by the much respected Fekete Fold Ensemble from Toronto. We were very proud and honoured to have them with us for that celebration.